Thursday, October 1, 2009

Off to Carlisle



I remember Victorian Guild member Gael Cresp introduced me to the story of Sir Gawain and the Loathly Lady. After hearing her tell it I tracked down a few versions and pulled together my adaptation. I always start it off :-


"King Arthur and his Knights and Queen Guinevere and her ladies

were in Carlisle in the far north of England to spend Christmas.

The feasting had just begun, a boar’s head wreathed in bay leaves on a silver tray,

led the procession of food around the great hall before it was set in front of the King.

Then a thundering of hooves, a pounding on the doors

and into the room came a women covered in wild winter riding.

She raced over and knelt before the King.........................."


Why not off to Carlisle I thought, have a look around.

Book a room, note -things to see a Castle, a Cathedral a Guild House and Museum Art Gallery

On my way to the castle I found an amazing book shop strolled in and found “King Arthur lives in Merrie Carlisle” written by the owner of the shop Stephen Matthews. He has gathered together all the literary references to Arthur over hundreds and hundreds and years. Included is “Wedding of Sir Gawain and Dame Ragnelle: What women most desire?” working from a version written down in 1450’s.
I’ve posted it home, I can’t squeeze one more thing into my bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment